Care Tips For Protecting Your Jewelry
Visit Legacy Diamond & Gems to have your fine jewelry professionally cleaned and inspected for worn or cracked prongs, faulty clasps, or any other potential problems that may occur. You may also talk with one of our staff members about caring for your particular piece.
Here are some tips we recommend for protecting your jewelry.
- Dirt buildup may hasten the wear of your jewelry.
- Avoid heavy blows to your diamonds or gemstones, even diamonds can chip if struck at the right angle.
- Saltwater and jewelry do not mix. Ocean wear can damage some stones and metals.
- Exposure to chemicals can damage and discolor precious metals – like gold, silver, and platinum – and may harm colored gems. Remove jewelry before going into chlorinated water and hot tubs or using household cleaners.
- Pearls are easily damaged by an array of personal products like cosmetics and lotions.
- If you bump or snag your jewelry, have it inspected for potential damage that may be unnoticed to you.
- Don’t place or store your jewelry near vents, grates, sinks, or drains.
- When not wearing your jewelry, place each item in a separate, soft, compact container. If cluttered together jewelry can become scratched, even diamonds.
- When traveling, keep valuable jewelry at home or store it in the hotel safe.
- Most burglaries happen in broad daylight. Always keep doors and windows locked.
- One of the best ways to keep valuable or extensive jewelry collections secure is to store them in a burglary and fire-resistant safe.